Monday, January 10, 2011

Time to Organize

So typically I am not a fan of New Year's resolutions. But, this year, I decided to set one - figured it would be something to help hold me accountable! So my resolution is to declutter and have a yard sale!! I guess that is actually two, but who's counting!!

If you know me, then you know I am extremely organized ~ probably to a fault. So, if you walk in my house on any given day, you would think I have it all together. But, what you don't see is the monster that lives in all of my storage places.

We currently have an unfinished upstairs, which is a good thing. But, it seems to be the catch all for everything and throughout the year can get pretty crazy. So, I decided that every January I am going to have a purge session!! If I haven't used it in the last year or can't find a reason to save it for a future use, then it is out of here!! And then in March I am going to have a yard sale to get rid of it all!!

So, I started on this last weekend, with the help of my wonderful hubby!! We started by organizing the attic into sections - one is for things we want to store long-term, but don't need to access (momentos, stuff for a future home, etc.). The other section is stuff that we need to get to on a regular basis, but doesn't have a place downstairs (Christmas decorations, kids clothing/toys that we need to keep for future little ones, hunting gear, etc). And, finally is our yard sale section. That way when we started with the downstairs, we new which section to take things to.

Then I began at one end of the house and moved through it, cleaning out every drawer, cabinet, or closet. I re-organized the contents, removing anything that we didn't need or use anymore. Those items then either got trashed or put in the yard sale pile!! Other than mine and Corey's closet, we got through the entire house!! It was a weekend of hard work, but felt so good once it was done!!

So, now if I can just keep it this way throughout the year!!


No comments:

Post a Comment