Monday, January 4, 2010

New Beginnings

As we embarq on another new year (hard to believe) it has really gotten me thinking about new beginnings. I always love ringing in the new year because it always feels like a time of putting the past behind and starting fresh. And, I can't help but be reminded of when I first came to know Christ! It feels like it was yesterday, when in reality it has been nearly 6 years! Being born again is the ultimate feeling of washing away the old and starting anew. It is such an exciting time - I often compare it to the beginning of a dating relationship! Everything is new, you can't wait until you can spend time together again, you want everything you do to please him, etc. But, just as in a dating relationship or marriage, that newness will eventually wear off and you actually have to begin working at it. I have found the same to be true in my relationship with Christ. It is so easy to become complacent and take my relationship with Christ for granted, and think, "Well, if I miss my quiet time today, it will be okay" or "I'll pray later, when I have more time" - sound familiar? And then, I wonder why I don't feel as close to him. If only I were playing my part!!

So, this week as the new year kicks off, I have a renewed desire to retun to my first love. To return to that same passion and excitement that I had when I first came to know him and to "earnestly seek him" with all of my heart!

1 comment:

  1. Totally know that feeling! I'm renewing my time with God too! It feels good!

    ReplyDelete